Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design - Deluxe Edition


Once upon a time when I was starting with my teen years I had (and I still have >:|) a friend who would supply me here and there with music. Every time when I would come to his house he gave me an diskette with a list of his music. I would examine that list for hours at home, staring into bands that I had no idea that they exist. So I went through the list marking every band that had a cool name. Vader, Summoning, Isengard, Cannibal Corpse, Iced Earth, Marduk and so on and one. Then one day I saw this funny looking name "Jedi Mind Tricks". Wut? It had a strange name so I told him to give me that "band". To my disgust then I realized it's rap. Filled with my teen angst and furious anger towards anything that's not metal I proceeded to delete it.

Years after I suddenly came to an idea that I should check out rap music since I never really liked it before. I remembered Jedi Mind Tricks and thought I should check them out again. To my surprise I really did like them. Perhaps if I gave that album then a bigger chance maybe I would turn into a true rapper and not metalhead? Who knows. The only certain thing is that this album slays. I'm not really an expert for rap so I can't really tell you if it's good or not because I haven't really listened to a lot of different artists. What I can say is that this album has some really great lyrics (both fun and serious but there are those macho type lyrics as well, if you consider Muslim extremism to be macho type of thing that is) and some great beats. It also quotes some great movies and has a large variety of different samples. I surfed around and from what I heard this is one of the cult albums of underground rap. So if you never listened to rap perhaps check this album out, maybe you'll like it. ;)

Oh and this is the deluxe version so it has some extra songs in it as well.

Tracklist:

1
Intro (0:42)
2
Retaliation (3:44)

Scratches - DJ Kwestion
3
Contra (3:18)

Rap [Featuring] - Killasha
Scratches - DJ Kwestion
4
Speech Cobras (4:22)

Rap [Featuring] - Mr. Lif
Scratches - Drew Dollars
5
Breath Of God Interlude (0:37)
6
Death March (3:35)
7
Words From Mr. Len Part One (0:58)
8
I Against I (3:49)

Rap [Featuring] - Planetary (2)
9
Exertions (Remix) (3:14)

Rap [Featuring] - Bahamadia
10
The Prophecy Interlude (0:36)
11
Heavenly Divine (4:34)
12
Sacrafice (3:20)
13
Permanent Midnight Interlude (0:39)
14
The Deer Hunter (3:41)

Rap [Featuring] - Chief Kamachi
15
Blood Reign (3:37)

Rap [Featuring] - B.A. Barakus , Diamondback , Louis Logic
16
Words From Mr. Len Part Two (0:29)

Producer - Mr. Len
17
Gengis Khan (3:50)

Rap [Featuring] - Tragedy Khadafi
18
Trinity (3:37)

Rap [Featuring] - L-Fudge , Louis Logic
19
The Executioners Dream (3:52)

Rap [Featuring] - J-Treds
20
Muerte (3:57)
21
Heavenly Divine (Remix) (3:20)
22
Army Of The Pharaohs: War Ensemble (4:07)

Bonus Tracks
23
Untitled (3:38)

Rap [Featuring] - Jus Allah
24
Retaliation (Remix) (4:23)
25
Blood Runs Cold (3:55)

Rap [Featuring] - Sean Price


I'm with Allah 'cause he chose me
Broke into the Vatican, strangled the Pope with his rosary
What, what, what

3 comments:

  1. I was the same in my metalheads years. I remember that someone that knew more of music than I (at that time) recommended me Dälek since they are pretty dark for a hip hop band but I still couldn't like it.

    I'm not an expert or something like that, but you know, I can always tell you a couple of nice hip hop albums, but I guess you already tried the safest ones, like Endtroducing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I know much of the rap scene, but you should check out some cypress hill as well, it's pretty well-known, but the lyrics are amazingly good..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Talvi: Well I haven't really ventured a lot in the underground rap scene so thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out. I only heard about 5-6 groups that I like so far.

    @ crivassan: Oh Cypress are good but most of their songs are about weed which is something that I don't find very entertaining because of some personal reasons. They have good beats though so I'll perhaps snoop around.

    ReplyDelete