Boris - Flood


Speaking of great bands how could I not mention Boris? Well here it is, Flood, one of the most unique albums they did. I went through a lot of trouble getting this one. Since the label has a great policy of not shipping their albums to my country I had to order it through a store from my city. Apparently they ordered it as a selling item that they will sell in the shop. The conversation I had with the shop owner was, intriguing.

Me: Hi, I'd like to order a cd.
Owner: Sure, just tell me the name.
Me: Boris.
Owner: Uh? The bands name not yours.
Me: Yes, Boris.
Owner: Are you trying to make fun of me? Tell me the name of the band.
Me: ...Boris.
Owner: The Band is called Boris?
Me: Yes.
Owner: And where are they from? Russia?
Me: No, they are from Japan.
Owner: Rrrright. So this obscure band is from Japan and they call themselves Boris? After a Russian name?
Me: They named themselves after a song from Melvins and they are not obscure.
Owner: I worked here for 17 years and I never heard of this band.

And so on and on. XD I don't really get it. I had to do the same conversation each time I came there and asked if the album arrived and every time they gave me a strange look like I just ate their mothers. Finally after 3 months of waiting it came direct from Japan. :3 Looks like first press too which makes it extra cool.

In any case if you are a bit older follower of this blog you probably remember when I posted the whole Boris discography (it was complete when I posted it, now there are a few releases missing). So I assume pretty much everyone heard of Flood before. There's not much to say. It's their own version of post-rock music of sorts. It's not really pure post rock as in Explosions In The Sky and similar. It actually starts with an really dull (to me at least) intro of one riff repeating and repeating. I usually like this sort of thing but this one just isn't enjoyable to me. So after that it switches to pretty much relaxed and laid back post rock and afterwords a tsunami comes and kills everything. In any case, get this, you'll like it! >:| It's just one long track split into four parts so I won't write the tracklist.

 *will not be uploaded again

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous20/8/09 05:40

    I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks the first part is boring. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great album. You mentioned having to pay forty dollars for this earlier; ouch. Can't you go through any other websites/distributors? AllThatIsHeavy, for instance, has this cd for thirty dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have paypal so I'm kinda severed. A lot of sites also don't like my country so they don't ship their products here and so on and on. There are countless problems so I mostly don't buy originals unless they are in store at my city or in store at the capital city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you saying, part 1 is the best one, most relaxing while resting in the bed. It's Steve Reich tribute song, man you need to listen some minimalism and phaded out music =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I might have been a little harsh over that song. This is because I usually skip the first part because it kinda just goes on and on. If it were shorter I would love it.

    ReplyDelete