McCoy Tyner - Sahara


McCoy Tyner was perhaps most known for his collaboration with John Coltrane. He played on many of his records (I guess most famous "session" would be My Favorite Things) but he also had a really vast and diverse career of his own.

Sahara was recorded in 1972 during his second period (after he left his bebop roots and started to explore what Coltrane popularized). It was also the first album he did for Milestones after he left Blue Note and it never hurts to mention this is his best selling album plus it was nominated for a Grammy. So yeah, aside from the hype this really is some great jazz which is pretty much essential stuff in my book.

Aside from playing the piano, Tyner also plays koto and percussion on this album which gives it an oriental/middle east feel that Coltrane would always strive for during his late period. Although being a multi-instrumentalist he shines the most on his main instrument which is the piano. I especially enjoy the solo second track, A Prayer For My Family, that features only him doing what he does best. As the album goes it sort of goes more free and free but it does not divulge into free jazz wankery all that much, it stays in the boundaries of post-bob melodies and solos. The album ends with an exceptional +20 minute track called Sahara that starts practically formless but as it develops it gradually gets its epic form and structure featuring solos from practically every instrument that's present on the track (dat bass solo in the middle rips my face off every time I hear it).

All in all, this is really great stuff. If you like jazz I warmly recommend it.

Download.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous23/7/11 10:45

    Thanks for the upload. I´ve been listening to it this week and it´s a very interesting record :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. classic album which more people should be checking out... 'valley of life' is one of my all time favourite tracks

    ReplyDelete