Art Tatum - Trio


There were many pianists in jazz throughout the times and periods but only a few attained the nickname of "God". Perhaps a little bit overrated among pianists but certainly one of the best was Art Tatum. What made him so famous and respected was the fact that he had a very distinct style of playing. This was because of his blindness and also that he used to practice on an organ that was meant for two players. I guess the most distinct factor in his playing technique would be playing this interval patched between the melodies that sounds like a whole scale is played in between each riff. I'm not really in a position to discuss music theory since I'm not very apt at it but he certainly makes my mind explode with his playing.

The album I'm sharing is probably just some random compilation, I don't know the name of nor when it was released but it does not really matter. The songs are mostly performed in trios but some quartet recordings are also present here. Guitar, piano, double bass and drums is what I hear the most. I don't know the players either. Most of the songs are standards (if not all) but are mangled and reinvented by Tatum's wonderful improvisation and imagination. I assume this was recorded during the swing heyday due to the repertoire of the songs. Moonglow, Honeysuckle Rose, I Got Rhythm,  Flying Home etc. etc. all indicate it was recorded in the 40s. Not sure though. I'm sharing this particular release because this one piqued my interest in Art Tatum's art so it might work the same on you. If not, well, it's your loss. :P

Link no longer available.

No comments:

Post a Comment