McCoy Tyner - Inception


I've been listening to this guy for so much these past few months that I'm starting to have piano keys instead of my teeth. Okay, that made no sense but that's because I'm in a senseless mindset.

Largely different from the previous album that I shared Inception shows Tyner in a trio setting with just his piano, drums (Elvin Jones) and a bass (Art Davis). It was released in 1962 during which he also played with John Coltrane quartet but this actually sounds nothing like Coltranes quartet. Most of the tracks are his own compositions which I find surprising since at the time it was very popular to rework previous classics into this new thing. Inception is probably my favorite track from this album because it starts so fast and precise immediately letting you know that this guy knows his trade.

Perhaps not as good as some of his later trio albums but this one is certainly a great jazz record that Impulse put out.

Download.

1 comment:

  1. Christian28/7/11 23:58

    Awesome! Thanks a lot! Anything else with Elvin Jones feel free to post haha!

    You have so much good music here and have introduced me to heaps of other great stuff (particularly manga and other artists) that have really blown my mind, I really appreciate all the work you do. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete