Watain - Sworn To The Dark


Speaking of popular things, here's Watain.

They released a new album this year which kinda overstayed its welcome. They had great ideas and they wanted to repeat their past fame so I guess they overdid it a little too much. They tried to repeat the fame of their album from 2007 which is called Sworn To The Dark.

I personally consider this to be their best so far and arguably one of the best metal albums of the 00s. Why I like it so much?

I'm a man (more like a child in mans clothes) who is prone to bands that tend to step forward. Bands who dare to venture in the unknown. Sometimes I strike gold and sometimes I strike myself with a facepalm and then contemplate as to where I'm going with this existence of mine. But there are times when nostalgia strikes and I feel like I should spin some Darkthrone or whatever that was popular back in the day when black metal was about confused teenagers in Norway; also murders over trivial things. But hey, people still like old school black metal and they record stuff like that in this decade as well. Such bands either have 0 imagination or they have in mind something that will give old school a new flare and something that will sound fresh despite being old school. Sometimes they sound terrible and sometimes they sound just right.

Watain would be one of those bands that sound just right. There's no ambient wankery, no drifts to other nowadays hip styles of playing or any of that crap yet they still have that touch of freshness which, surprisingly for me,  doesn't go away throughout the whole album. It's black metal as it should be and it's greatly crafted with much attention to details and compositions. Vocals are what they should be, drums kick precisely when they need to and guitars do wonders in each song. I absolutely love this album and I recommend it to all black metal fans that haven't checked it out yet.

I don't think I'll list tracklists anymore. I just don't see the need for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment