Flying Teapot year 2.

You probably didn't notice (but I did :<) but "we" didn't celebrate Flying Teapot-s second birthday. This was due to several factors which I won't really bother to explain. Well, we'll celebrate it today. Why? Because my birthday is today so I guess the analogy could make some sense. You know, the blog is 2 and I'm 20. So it's kinda similar, the difference is just one zero to me.

Despite being inactive as fvck I think the blog pretty much remained the same as it was the year before. I like it this way so I don't really see any need for changes. Recently the followers numbers have hit the 200 mark but I still get the exact same feeling of being a small unnoticed blog even though whenever I spew something out here 200 people will eventually will see it in some form and 200 isn't a small number unless we're talking about ohm resistance and we're not talking about that.

I won't hold any long speeches, words would only spoil things. I would just like to thank you all for being here and reading/downloading everything I put up. It fills me with joy to share stuff that make me what I am.

And of course what better way is to celebrate this occasion other than to download? :D

So here are some presents:

Since its my birthday as well I thought I should share something with you that marked my entire childhood. I grew up in the 90s and I didn't really have any consoles and crap like that. I grew up on PC so DOS games were pretty much all I played. Now that I think of it everybody treated me as an outcast because of that. Every kid my age had a Nintendo but I didn't care. Me and my dad used to play Lucas Arts adventure games and all that crap all the time. He would translate and I would direct actions. It's how I learned English in the first place haha. But there was one game that I played over and over and over. And that was:

Commander Keen

 Yes this motherfucker drained several years of my so called life. I played these series all the time firstly because I didn't need dad around to translate and secondly because it's one of the best platform based games that I ever played (yes that's right, I don't like Mario games ;P). I knew all the levels, all the secrets and all the cool jumps. It was my first addiction. That terrible sound when you loose a life still haunts me. I actually hear it sometimes in my dreams when somebody dies.

There are seven titles that got out for PC. 1, 2 and 3 have one, really old, engine and 4, 5 and 6 (dreams) had a better looking one. When I was little 4, 5 and 6 were the popular and active ones so I overlooked the first three for a very long time. Eventually one really boring high school summer I went through the first three and I can't really recommend them. They are pretty much inferior versions of the later ones. I uploaded the games I played so you get here: episode 4, 5, and 6 along with Dreams.

The story is about a boy who is at night Commander Keen! He goes around saving our galaxy and slacks off from eating vegetables at dinner. The story isn't very important. The important segment here is the gameplay which is rich and diverse. Diverse as dos games go so I can't really recommend this to someone who can't enjoy nostalgic old games. The last sequel called dreams is actually the weirdest one. Apparently some potato troops trapped him through some dream like machine so he has to save himself by running around in his pajamas from potato soldiers and mad carrots. Never quite understood it. :D

TWO MEGABYTES OF INFINITE FUN

I'll post more stuff tomorrow. I don't want to cramp everything into one post.

15 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to you and your lovely blog, Burek! Actually i only download your guro/manga/anime stuff (oh yea, and thanx for this awesome Maki Asakawa post too!^^).

    But i have to thank YOU for uploading all this. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I`ll follow you to the very end! Promised.

    And what about another Maruo post? There`s still an english translated "The Caterpillar" scanlation outthere. You should put this on your list.

    Best wishes ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. ^_^

    Don't worry about Maruo! I said I don't want to cramp everything into one post, so tomorrow something from him will shine here definitely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you and the blog too. Don't forget the 406 rss followers ;)

    And thanks for the game I find it quite very awkward (I never played platform PC games that old before), and thanks for all the mangas and music, you introduced me to guro (is that a good thing?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday and blogday Burek! You pretty much introduced me to the sick world of guro too, and I thank you for it. I'll definitely be snooping around for that new Maruo post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The game kick ass!
    And yeah , nice reading you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. I hope this blog stay alive many many years. Greetings from Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blog birthday from another follower. I only have you in my bookmarks tab, but I check up here pretty regularly. I'm trying to study at the moment so I don't have too much time to comment, but I want to thank you for all the stuff you've shared with me/your readers. Morita Doji in particular is a favorite, but a lot of the hardcore, metal, and manga as well. I enjoy reading the tumblr and your longer posts on here as well. Flying Teapot is one of my favorite blogs, happy birthday again, FT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy second anniversary! I actually thought you were older.

    Thanks for introducing me to some many amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mate ive been following your blog for over a year now, keep doing what your doing, youve introduced me to things which have had a massive influence on me, thanks!

    joshua

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for wonderful comments! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey felicidades, chido por los links y eso.. Este blog es vergass en un picnic cibernetico en la netosfera

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5/11/10 04:22

    200 is small? ;.;

    Ahh can't even scratch ten, and there's only three followers for us...used to have four, but apparently someone unfollowed. ・゜゜・(/□\*)・゜゜

    But ya, here's to a, hopefully, good year and the next.

    ⎝⏠⏝⏝⏠⎠ Sieg Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HappyBirthday! I'm from Brazil and love your blog, I always come around to check the incredible things you kindly share here!
    Thank you so much for everything :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could it be that your neat game won't work on a 64 bit machine? :/ I tried all different settings, still it won't load. Dammit, I was so eager to test this game...I love oldschool stuff. Anyway, happy anniversary (though it's kinda late) and thanks for uploading all the awesome guro stuff <3
    Greetings from Austria

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a 64 bit processor and it works for me (although I still run my PC on Windows XP which is 32 bit operational system).

    Have you tried running it through DOSbox? I heard people use that as an emulator for old DOS games. Haven't tried it myself though.

    ReplyDelete