Crushing The Holy Trinity

Oh I don't really know where to start with this one. I uploaded it a long time ago actually but never really found the appropriate time to post it. Since Christmas is around the corner why not post this delicious blasphemy now? What we have here is a massive 3CD or 3LP (depends on what you bought) compilation of some sort. It is separated into three Christian deities which are: Son, Father and the Holy Spirit.

Father:

The Father part has two bands. The all famous Deathspell Omega and another relatively known band called Stabat Mater (another one of Mikko Aspas children to be exact and I keep calling it Sabat Mater). Both contributed one relatively long song. The Deathspell Omega song is possibly the best one on this compilation but fanboy~ism on the side the track sounds something like their EP Kenose and Chaining the Katechon blended together. Starts of slow with a very weird guitar riff which later goes on into some sort of trance like riffing and then drifts off to black metal department of business to be finally ended with choirs of course (and there's some acoustic masturbation along the way). Nothing too frantic which might be a let down for some (fans of FAS specifically). Ironically Stabat Mater is possibly the worst song on this compilation to me. Nothing really interesting happens through the 17 minutes that the song lasts. Vocals are simply terrible here, now that I think about it I never really liked the growling that Mikko does anywhere. Can't say I really remember what the song was like, quite dull.

Son:

The Son part kicks in with the classical modern "raw" black metal (I don't know what I just said) by a band called Musta Surma (and I keep reading Sarma not Surma - what is wrong with me these days?) from Finland! They play their thing mostly mid-paced and sort of melodic (as far as black metal goes) so it's quite fun to listen. Nothing overly original or complex but it is plain good old fun. The other part of the Son was done by a band called Clandestine Blaze who are also from Finland and Mikko Aspa is also in it... -_- Clandestine Blaze is fairly popular among the scene so I don't really feel inclined to explain how this part sounds. All i can say is that Mikko here again growls and that kinda ruins the whole thing for me but it's still enjoyable music wise and in terms of composition.

Holy Spirit:

While Father was a bit epic in its design, Son was slow and brooding which means Holy Spirit will be fast and furious and hopefully without Vin Diesel. Furious indeed it is. As far as I know Mgla had its first appearance in the world through this compilation (Mgla, surprisingly for this compilation is not from Finland or connected to Mikko Aspa, the ubermann of Finland). If you liked his albums and EPs he released after this you'll certainly enjoy this. While in comparison the production here is far more weaker from his later works it doesn't really destroy the mood. As usual Mgla offers very nonlinear and interesting compositions that never make me bored or uninterested. The vocals aren't too high pitched nor too much growled, in fact, they are exactly what I seek in black metal vocals. Great stuff and not to be missed imho. The second half was done by a band Exordium (THE FINNISH ONE OF COURSE, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? ;D) and similar to Mgla they also delivered some fast Marduk type of black metal blasting. Now I know some people might be offended because I compare underground bands with modern businessmen of Marduk but they kinda do sound alike (the vocals remind me a lot of how Legion used to sound). So if you like Marduk you'll like this but Exordium tries to be a little more creative and crazy with their riffs. The last song though is slower and kinda monotonous.

I warmly recommend this to people who are into black metal and are looking to discover some new great bands, otherwise I don't think you'll find anything of interest here.


Get.

No comments:

Post a Comment