Alphaville

Year of release: 1965
Director: Jean-Luc Godard
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller
Duration: 99 min
Language: French (English subtitles)

Imdb.
Wikipedia.

Ever since I started watching movies I always enjoyed those old Noir films. Those old washed up detectives who have seen it all and those lovely fragile femme fatale. Don't know really why but I always liked that. I guess that explains why Max Payne is one of my favorite games hmm.

Anway, not to bother you with myself. Alphaville is among the first attempts to make a future dystopian world. Back then this movie might have been a horrible vision of future but today I watch this with a gentle smile. First of all this future the director portrays pretty much looks like today (today, as in the 60s) except there are now just two contires. The Outland where the free people live and this central state (apparently Europe) where everything is ran by a supercomputer and everyone acts like they landed from a planet called Vulcan. The Outland is bothered with what's going on in there so they decide to send a lone warrior to save the day and kill or return the maker of this Alphavilles (where night is eternal and usuall depressive expressionist bollocks :D) computer.

That's about as far as I'll go with the story. The thing about this movie is that it's too old. Don't get me wrong I adore old movies but this just goes too far. The music here is a big problem. I listen to noise and all unbelievable crap but god damn the music here is annoying. For example a dramatic orchestral music plays for no apparent reason while the protagonist enters a hotel, then the servant asks him to take his bags and he refuses (the dramatic music still plays) then he goes into the elevator (the music still goes on), he comes to a floor and walks and enters his room and sits on his bed (the dramatic music ends around there). What the? What's really the point of it anyway? He refused to give his bag? Was that so dramatic in the 60s? That and numerous little things gather into one big annoyance. Yet, the movie is still fun to watch, if you can get past by those little things and the "computers" voice that sounds like someone is dying from a throat cancer. If you like noir, outdated futuristic movies, black & white colour and dystpian worlds then watch it. If not then I suggest you skip this one. :D

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

Subtitles.

You need HJ Split to patch this back into one file.

3 comments:

  1. film noir are awesome, and is exactly the reason why max payne is such a great game! (also, the new boris is up for grabs on a couple of blogs already)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say old I guess you talk about those small annoyances (that can still happen in recent films), because 1965 isn't that old. Some of the best films I've seen were done, for example, in the 30s, like Duck Soup (best comedy ever).

    But yeah, dramatic music while nothing happens is hilarious though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well every movie that was made before the color came into major play (so somewhere around late 60s I think?) I consider old. Everything after that I consider new (1990+) or relatively new (1970-1989).

    Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check that movie. I also love movies from 30s and 40s. a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete