Boris - A Bao A Qu


Boris are have been kicking around for a very long time now and they're also one of my favorite bands. Because they are so well known I didn't bother to post their stuff (I did post their discog early on but all those links are dead and gone) but I think this is worth sharing because of two reasons: the first reason is my favorite song by them and the second reason is that this is a bit more obscure release so maybe not all of you Boris enthusiasts have it.

A Bao A Qu has several versions, reworks and live versions. I managed to find seven of them and this is the longest one clocking at just a bit over 10 minutes. The song itself is set into two parts. The first part is a very laid back drone-y intro that reminds me a lot of Gymnopédies, 1. Lent et douloureux by Erik Satie (without the feedback of course). I don't know if this a tribute or a rip off but the notes seem very similar. Nevertheless this is probably the better half of the song. After about 4 or so minutes of drone Boris shift into high gear and lay out some really fine doom/sludge thing they usually do (or did). Big open guitar riffs, echoes vocals and all the good stuff they do best and this part transitions quite well from the quiet one.

What they achieve the most with this certain song is laying out a feeling of some happy solitude. One of those feelings that you get when you stare out of some tall building on a quiet sunday evening. Watching last rays of Sun disappear.

Download.

Music video.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a reason it's named after the Zeon headquarters from Mobile Suit Gundam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch Mobile Suit Gundam so I have no idea if this is connected or not.

    I'm not sure if they watch anime although they did one opening song for some random anime this year. So this connection could be true.

    ReplyDelete