Monks Of The Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery - Ritual Music of Tibetan Bhudism and Tantric Hymns



Back in the day when I was digging into the atonal world of drone and noise I heard some rumors (or assumptions?) that Sunn O))) got their inspiration from the sound of Buddhist chants. Thus began my search for this apparently spiritual music that resembles drone in many ways. To my dismay I never could find anything interesting or authentic. All I could find was watered down new age bullshit with random flutes and cheesy keyboards. The closest thing I could find was actually in Akiras original soundtrack (which I'll talk about when I eventually make a big Akira droolfest post) and some older more depressing 60s Japanese samurai films.

Alas(!) my search is over. Actually it's over for about half a year now but whatever. I finally managed to find some pure (bullshit-free) Tibetan/Buddhist music played by monks. This is completely free from all the flutes and keyboards and gentle female voices, they are all complete prayers accompanied by fittingly deep music instruments. So is this drone? Well; yes I think it is. At the start of the first track right when the humongous horn starts blowing I knew this is what I was looking for which is non compromised music from the temples of Tibet. Another thing that I noticed about this and Buddhist chanting in general is that it has a striking resemblance to the Tuvan throat singing (which I'll post sooner or after anyway so you'll hear it) so those two tings are probably connected in some weird way. Didn't read into that yet.

If you want something different and interesting to hear, check this out. If you like drone, you need to get this.

Download.

4 comments:

  1. Stephen O'Malley himself linked a CD you might like: http://www.ideologic.org/news/view/phurpa_nag_bdud_ceremony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/8/11 04:13

    YES!!!! This is awesome thanx! Akira post eh? The curiosity is destroying me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fantastic, do you have the second album?

    ReplyDelete