Sun Ra - Life Is Splendid


Yes, I know, I talk about Sun Ra all the time. There really isn't much left to say but here I am again. Every now and then I stumble upon one of his records that I haven't heard and the feeling comes back. The feeling of his music and atmosphere that he creates.

Life Is Splendid is a live performance that was recorded back in 1972 for Atlantic Records. The recordings were destroyed in a fire and they couldn't release the stuff back then or something like that. It doesn't really matter. You have the booklet scanned so you can read about it if you wish.

What matters here is the music and I must say this is one of the best live recordings of Sun Ra that I have yet  heard. This line up features a lot of percussionists and this gives the whole album its charm. The emphasis is on drums and all things that go click-clack. Aside from the amazing atmosphere this album also has perhaps the best version of Watusi that goes on for 7 minutes in a whirlwind of chaos and drumming. Basically on this record you have pretty much everything you could want from a Sun Ra record. There's the classics here and also moments of chaotic space improvisations.

Recommended for fans.

Download.

1 comment: