Jumping

Director: Osamu Tezuka
Country: Japan
Date: 1984
Runtime: 6 minutes
Format: .avi

Osamu Tezuka is probably most known for his work on Metropolis and Astro Boy. I won't talk much about him because there's a hefty wikipedia page about him that you can read.

What I will talk about is his series of animation shorts that he did during his career. From what I believe there was a DVD release of those films or something like that but I didn't really check (I got all this from Surreal Moviez). Over the next few months or so (I honestly can't tell how long this "series" of posts will last) I'll be sharing them and offer quick insights. There are also some extra stuff that I'll probably post when I finish with main ones.

The feature for today is an experimental animated journey called Jumping. The title really explains it all and there's not much story here apart from some small symbolism. What's interesting here is the animation, small details and the effect it makes. The camera is always in first person so it might get dizzy at times.

With the animation itself I included the commentary video of how this was all made and so on because things like these require context like that.

Download.

4 comments:

  1. Cool stuff! I had this on a tape called The International Tournee of Animation, used to watch it all the time as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23/8/12 18:17

    I'd never seen the commentary, very interesting

    The animation is quite clunky, but it was a challenging experiment and I don't know of any better result

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you send an invite to Surreal moviez? I can send you an invite to Cinemageddon. They have a ton of obscure films.

    email me at etuvivrainelterrore@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't have any invites, sorry!

    ReplyDelete