Harry Roy and His Mayfair Hotel Orchestra

I love this photo.

In the good days of swing there were a lot of bands. Some are well known and made a mark on history and some were, eh, less successful. Harry Roy and his orchestra falls into the other category. This does not mean that he's terrible or bad at playing. It's just that his orchestra never made it big.

There's not much info about him but his bio on wiki is here so you can read if you'd like. What makes this one a bit more unique from others is that he sometimes would make a bit provocative songs. They are of course perfectly normal songs with perfectly normal lyrics but they make your imagination go wild har har. No one really tried to ban such songs but they can sometimes be quite direct. While most are aimed at sexual references one is even appealing on suicide. It's called "I'm Gonna Kiss Myself, Goodbye" and the lyrics go:

I'm gonna kiss myself goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye

I'm gonna get my wings and fly

Up high, up high


In any case I compiled a bunch of his songs so this isn't any album or anything. It's just a bunch of his songs in one zip. Quality varies but most are in good shape.

Tracklist:

01. Be Careful It's My Heart
02. Better Think Twice
03. Bugle Call Rag
04. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
05. Elmer's Tune
06. Hey Little Hen
07. I'm Gonna Kiss Myself, Goodbye
08. It's Only A Paper Moon
09. I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo
10. La Cucaracha
11. Mama, I Wanna Make Rhythm
12. Nobody's Sweetheart
13. Oh! You Sweet Thing
14. Okay Toots
15. Pennsylvania 65000
16. Pistol Packin' Mama
17. Remember Me
18. Roll Along Covered Wagon
19. Rosita
20. Run Rabbit Run
21. Sand In My Shoes
22. Shake Down The Stars
23. Someday Monday Always
24. Struttin' In The Sand
25. Sweet Little Sweetheart
26. That Lovely Weekend
27. The Continental
28. The Tuscana (You Just Retreat)
29. They Can't Black Out The Moon
30. This Is The Army Mr. Jones
31. Tiger Rag
32. Troublesome Trumpet
33. Tumbling Tumbleweeds
34. What A Difference A Day Made
35. What A Little Moonlight Can Do
36. Why Don't You Fall In Love With Me
37. You Are My Sunshine
38. Isn't This A Lovely Day
39. She Had To Go And Lose It At The Astor
40. Something Different
41. Pennsylvania Polka
42. They Can't Black Out The Moon
43. Say It

Download.

5 comments:

  1. The photo makes him look insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love it so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a collection!!.....Thanks friend

    I shall cherish them

    and that phjoto...is really WACKO!!

    I LOVE IT...
    He seems to be a person of great sense of humor..

    Big Up!@!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting and unusual.
    I love such a rare materials especially if the blogger give his personal view.
    Thank you so much.

    Greetings from Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! Many thanks. And what a picture.

    ReplyDelete