Andrew Hill - 1964 - Point Of Departure

 


I have great respect for Andrew Hill. He was a guy who carved his own niche and never moved outside of it despite everything around him. He played difficult to listen jazz from start to finish, never compromising or making "commercial" albums. I guess he was what would be called a musicians musician. And judging from the list of accompanying musicians on this albums he had a lot of talented friends behind him.

Point of Departure might very well be one of my all time favorite albums. It is intense, well structured and free but not completely free. Packed with a lot of dizzying saxophone solos by both Dolphy and Henderson - both of those guys are some of my favorite saxophonists of all time. There are no standards, co-authors or any of that stuff. Front to back this album is composed by Andrew Hill so all tracks have this cold melancholic and angry feel that is irresistible to me.

I don't want to make a long bloated post how much I like this album so I'll just say if you like adventurous jazz albums from the 60s you should definitely give this one a try!

Get it 1 & 2. (it's in flac!)

No comments:

Post a Comment