Taeko Ohnuki - Mignonne


For the first album of the year here's a heavy dose of jpop cheese coming straight out of the 70s. I'm always infatuated with this sort of tasteless pop from Japan. Mostly because it reminds me of 80s and 90s anime from my childhood. All of the tracks on this album could be an opening or a closing for some garbage 3 episode OVA.

Taeko actually has a very decent voice even though there are several layers of reverb on everything. I hate reverb but I think here it brings that special fuzzy atmosphere. Apart from her voice everything else is the same "city pop" fare that's on every album of this kind. There's even a track with a over the top alto saxophone solo. Choirs in English as well. Piano ballads too!

Wallow in it.

3 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this light, crisp affair. I wallowed in it for sure! The studio production is impeccable and incredibly tight. Thank you. I hope you continue posting such gems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can u re upload the link i really want this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, all done. Link should be working now. Enjoy!

      Delete