Grouper - Alien Observer


If I had to choose my favorite song of all times it would most likely end up being Planet Caravan. A lot of things that I adore and seek are in that song. Yes, it's a flimsy song that was created by accident in the studio but I still immensely enjoy it every time I hear it. Ever since I fell in love with that song I've been looking for a band or other some other song that sounds like it. My search proved to be somewhat fruitful over the years. Black Sabbath themselves rarely made anything remotely similar (Solitude comes to mind) and other bands in that vein didn't fare any better as well. Other genres did come relatively close to what I was searching though.

Grouper as whole is the closest to that Planet Caravan feeling so far. This album in particular. The last song if we're being absolutely particular.

In case you have no idea who Grouper is and what kind of music it is let me indulge you. It's a mix of drone and folk. The vocals are mainly composed out of silent humming of barely understandable words. I love it. It's a very particular and well executed atmosphere that hangs on a thin balance of annoying and soothing. Songs are very simple but effective in their intent. There's not a lot of instrumentation here, from what I could discern it's just her voice and a delay ridden guitar. With such a minimal set Grouper manages to do a lot of things, making each song feel unique. Some are more happy, some are sad but they all have this underlying feeling of melancholia, of foggy mornings etc. Lovely stuff in general. I'm pretty sure this artist isn't very rare or unknown but I'm sharing this mostly out of sentimental reasons.

Get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment