Tetsuya Tsutsui - Manhole


Recently my sound card decided to run amok and die like a rabid dog so I've been unable to listen to anything interesting due to the fact that I was crying in anguish most of the time. This resulted in my reading of quite a few mangas that I've been avoiding to read (not because they were bad but because my interest in manga faded away for a while) for some time now.

Manhole is the first to hit the deck of this bundle with its snappy dialogue and an intriguing story about fucking manholes. The story is set in a city that recently had a very strange incident. Apparently a man crawled out of a manhole naked, bumped into some random guy, fell down and died. It's not a zombie story. Manhole is a detective story about an carefully crafted epidemic. Epidemic of something, with a purpose for something. Or was it all just for revenge? I'll let you decide.

Art as well as the story is quite good. Clear, realistic drawings of people. No big blue eyes and shit like that. The author tries in every panel to give an authentic and realistic portrayal. Some characters are a little bit bland and I didn't particularly enjoy how the ending was maybe a bit too much anticlimactic. Nevertheless it was very suspenseful and the art managed to convey this race against time. There are some nice disgusting two panel art as well which truly show the authors talent.

All in all this is a very fun read. I warmly recommend it for a weekend read.

Download.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/2/11 20:28

    I've been given the 3 books and IMO it's mildly good but a bit boring maybe? Yes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find it boring at all. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a real page turner, although a bit disappointing at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to reading this; i'd been missing your manga posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous14/2/11 22:23

    I just started Volume 2, and I really like it! It's disturbing and repulsive--in a good way!--but it's well paced and believable. Also, it made my left eyeball start to hurt. I would never have expected to feel such dread at a drawing of some bugs in a fish tank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing you're the best. great manga btw.

    ReplyDelete