Suehiro Maruo - Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show


This is perhaps the most popular work of all Suehiros mangas. The plot to me felt like an really sad desperate romantic tale (despite that this is ero-guro genre). The main character is a small girl who somehow ended up working as an slave in a circus ensemble. She is there abused and beaten for sheer enjoyment of others. One day an mysterious dwarf appears and he sets his eyes on the little girl Midori. I'll stop here not to spoil the rest of the plot.

The art of is classic Suehiro. Firm and steady lines, everything geometrically even, psychedelic and utterly grotesque yet so beautiful. I'm such a fanboy. -_-

It's also worthy to point out that this has been adapted to an anime. It's banned in Japan but it circulates around Europe by the name "Midori". I have this and I'll post it when I get the cd back from Zmaj. :P

It's kinda weird that it was banned because of explicit images. You can tolerate tentacles, rape, pedophilia and mutilation in animes but you can't tolerate a bunch of weirdo cripples? WTF?


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous27/3/09 09:59

    the subject of leprosy seems very brutal to me but haven't read one.

    This one looks pretty good.
    And I'll be waiting for the anime.

    Thanks Again! keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops did I say lepers? I mixed up terms. I wanted to say cripples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is pretty good. I reviewed it for a death metal magazine when I was a teen :)

    Thanks for the stuff, your blog is very useful to me to discover the "manga scans scene" :S :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm i've read this, it was russian edition. not really great but OKAY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please upload the movie sometime! Soundtrack is by JA Caesar, who is my hero.

    ReplyDelete