A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms

This could perhaps be the saddest album I had the opportunity to listen. I wouldn't really call this depressive. Maybe melancholic is a better word. Depression would be "utter darkness" while this album is graced by shafts of light here and there.

A Silver Mt. Zion (and many alterations to its name) was/is some kind of side project by several members of the Godspeed You! Black Emperor "collective" - as they like to call themselves. It's not very like their main band. The thing I enjoyed the most here is that there is much more focus on orchestral instruments with guitars only being here and there to fill in the gaps. It starts to build up to some sort of climax but then it just vanishes at the end of the third song. After the third song everything slows down and slowly goes away. Perfect timing.

It's an interesting take on post-rock. I don't usually like the term "experimental" but I'll just add it to the tags because I think they tried something different in post rock here. If you can call this post rock in the first place.

Highly recommended if you'd ask me.

Download.

5 comments:

  1. this is really the only A Silver Mt. Zion release I like
    the later ones with singing put me off
    to my ears, lyrical singing does not fit post-rock

    also,
    I moved my blog
    remember-computer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I kinda have the same opinion as you. Except that I also enjoy their "Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward" just a little bit less than this one.

    Thanks for the heads up about the blog. I'll add you to my link list. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killer McHann8/11/10 13:05

    I like all ASMZ albums but this one is definitely my favourite.

    The others are a different take on post-rock. I can understand the vocals being the deciding factor on whether you like those releases or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23/5/11 22:54

    Hi, I tried to download this twice but it didn't work, is there aq problem with it? Thanks for the musicQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the link is broken (in a really weird way).

    Try finding it on google because I really have no idea when I'll be able to reupload it again.

    ReplyDelete