Porco Rosso aka Kurenai no Buta Original Soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi


The story of Porco Rosso is set in 1920s and is focused around a peculiar character who was an ace in the first world war. I was attracted to this anime mainly because I like that era of human history and because, unusually for Miyazaki, the story takes place in real locations. Locations are spread over the Adriatic sea so it's kinda interesting to see this movie if you live around these parts. The movie is filled with homages to early aviation and aviators and to me it gives a nice nostalgic feeling.

As with many films after and before this one Miyazaki collaborated with Joe Hisaishi on the soundtrack. The soundtrack varies from orchestral pieces to piano melodies. Everything a fan of Hisaishi could want. There are 23 songs and most of them don't clock that much. Average length is about 2 and a half minutes which I sometimes found annoying because some melodies sound really great and deserved much more time length so I found myself often repeating one short song over and over. Perhaps the most notable song is the beautiful French chanson from that age sang by Tokiko Kato. I'm not French so I'm not sure how accurate she got the accent but it sounds really great and you can feel the Edith Piaf vibe all through it. All in all this is a pretty good soundtrack. Not exactly the most original soundtrack Hisaishi ever did but it's definitely worth checking out. The anime is also recommended.


No longer available for download.

No comments:

Post a Comment