Nagata Shigeru - Umi Ga Kikoeru (Ocean Waves) OST


When it comes to anime I never really enjoyed romance+slice of life anime. It's not that I hate them, I just don't understand them and find no fun in them whatsoever. I now and then give some show a shot but it fails me most of the time. I guess I'm just not for it. I mean, I watched Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I didn't even realize that it's supposed to be a comedy. -_- I didn't laugh even once. Then one day I heard of Ocean Waves. At first I was really skeptical about it but since I'm a complete Ghibli slut that will suck and swallow everything they throw out I decided to watch it. Surprisingly Miyazaki didn't have a major role in this anime (I don't think he even participated in making this one). The studio had an idea that only young people from their studio should make it. In the end I actually liked this. It really is a good, realistic slice of life anime and I think that it's terribly underrated. I won't spoil you the story so I'll just say that there's a torrent circulating around isohunt that has this anime (along with a lot of other Ghibli movies) and it's still active so you should have no problem getting it. The main point about this post is the soundtrack so I don't really need to explain the plot anyway. Or you could, you know, buy it if you don't live in such a shithole like myself. :D

When I said that I first heard of Ocean Waves I ment that, literary. I heard the soundtrack and I really enjoyed it so I thought the movie would not be so bad either and I was right tee hee. It has its share of flaws (some melodies are a bit too cheesy) but overall I think it's well made and fits with the mood of the anime perfectly. The main title song (Umi Ga Kikoeru) is especially well composed. Starts very simple by just playing around with the piano and then it gradually builds on and on untill it reaches its trumpet sort of climax but nothing spectacular, it almost comes like a soft breeze (whoa I'm getting all romantic over this -_-).

In short, if you watched this you should get this because the soundtrack rocks. If you haven't watched it you should still get it for its great composition and jazzy feeling (among other things). Note that it's not done by Joe Hisaishi which is kinda strange but it comes to me actually as an refreshment (kinda getting tierd of his soundtracks although Nausicaa will never get old).

Recommended!

Tracklist:

01. First Impression (1:38)
02. Umi Ga Kikoeru (6:02)
03. Side Street (3:30)
04. Shoujo No Omoi (3:14)
05. Yofuke Ni Hitori (4:22)
06. Aru Hareta Hi Ni (3:38)
07. Youki Na Yopparai (3:39)
08. Kaze NO Namiki MIchi (3:48)
09. Kokoro Ga Tabidatsu Toki (4:37)
10. Umi Ni Naretara (4:37)Despite this I still dislike most slice of life anime.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/5/10 18:46

    Thank you so much! I've been looking for this album for a long time. ;) I'm Korean, and you?

    ReplyDelete