Katsuhiro Otomo - Domu


Otomos most famous work is obviously Akira. Something that I could watch or read at any time of the day. So I thought that some of his other works might be good as well and decided to check them out. Domu was the first one I read from him that wasn't in the Akira universe. And oh boy I sure was surprised. It still has his own style of drawing and it's not much different from his other works. Large detailed buildings, things torn to tiny pices and clear yet simple facial expressions. His characters sometimes look more like charicatures which is one of the things that I dislike. So what is Domu about? It starts as a detective story. Somone jumped from a roof of the building. The detectives find out soon after that this happens a lot in this building complex. Actually death is there almost like a taboo if you mention it. At first I thought this is going to be something like Suicide Club but I was wrong, completely. It isn't about suicides. It turns in a full frontal war between two psychic talented people and its all great fun for the readers. Its like a twisted version of what would kids do from Akira if the military didn't find out about them, or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to read this for a long long time. I have seen the cover of the comic book since I was a kid(I am almost 40) but never managed to get my hand on it. thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to own a copy of this five or six years ago. I have no idea what happened to it since then, though. Maybe I sold it. And if I did, I'm really regretting that now it's out of print...

    ReplyDelete