Red Garland - 1958 - All Mornin' Long


Back in 1958 this apparently happened. I was pretty stoked when I found out and I generally am satisfied with how it sounds. To be clear, this is not some long lost gem but it is a joy to listen nonetheless. Coltrane, being my main point of interest on this record, sounds much at home throughout all the tracks. His playing here is I guess most reminiscent of how he played on Blue Train. Other star of the show is of course Donald Byrd on trumpet who also showcases his soloing abilities. And Garland being the star of the show is... alright I guess? I never was much of his fan. He sounds so utilitarian to me, like he's just there and nothing happens aside from maybe some stride soloing. But yeah, this is a really relaxing jam session that came and went without much puff. If you can get past that then you're up for some good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment