Walt Dickerson ‎- 1962 - Relativity


I was never much into vibraphones (and xylophones!) when it comes to jazz. I have mixed feelings about the sound of the instrument. On some albums it gives a good mystical and avant vibe to it while on others it's just plain annoying and out of place. Because of that I know a very little amount of actual musicians that are all about this instrument. Aside from the big ones (Milt Jackson and Lionel Hampton) I can't really name any others. I heard about Walt through his Sun Ra collaboration on Visions. I liked it so I decided to check out some of his solo albums. Relativity won't really blow your mind or anything but it will offer a very fine exercise in bebop and hard bop. With just a skeleton crew and vibes this album might sound a bit bare at times but I think it's good as it is. It emphasizes the instrument and creates this unique, distant and calm atmosphere.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know what a vibraphone was, so I looked up a video of someone playing one. So THAT'S what that instrument is! I'd heard one played many times, and always assumed it was some kind of synthesizer. It just makes such a precise, electronic sort of sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that this one of the strangest misconceptions that I've ever heard in my life. Now that you mention it, it does kinda sound like a synth.

    ReplyDelete