Akihiro Yamada - A Collection of Paintings

Among other things that I haven't posted in a while are artbooks. Well, the sole reason for that is that I've forgotten most of my sources for that. Strangely I still have some artbooks that survived over the years on my hard drives and are unposted. So here's Akihiro Yamadas artbook that is a collection of really neat paintings and sketches.

Akihiro is probably most known for his character designs (which are plenty in this book) that he did for various animes and video games. Probably the most well known are for Twelve Kingdoms. Despite not being the cream of the top he is an excellent artist that really does have a fairly unique style when it comes to coloring. Sure the characters themselves aren't really devoid from the norm of "this is the 90s and here is how characters need to look" but the coloring really brings them a very unique and lively look. Most of the paintings that are here in color are exceptional (especially those themed in feudal Japan) but his more black and white sketches aren't really doing much for me.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Don't know man. If I stumble upon something good I'll post it. So far I've been finding shit for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous22/7/12 00:28

    True, the problem with him and his elaborate black and white drawings is that he seems to be disintegrating any unity that could linger in his earlier sketches, thus confusing the viewer's perception and losing his attention. On the other hand his rendering of colors work well with the rest of his aesthetic. Thanks for that

    ReplyDelete