Galdr - Valdyrhugr


Galdr is a US band coming from Georgia that has been now for some time on the scene. Not a lot but enough to release two full lengths and a demo. Their first album is worth checking out if you're into Darkthroney black metal with maybe a more calmer mood and synths. The latest one is not really that great, mostly boring stuff which was disappointing since I was looking forward to it when it was coming out.

Their demo, which I'm sharing here, is probably my favorite release from this band. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere and the fuzz of guitars here. The music is melancholic, almost depressive in style (but the vocals aren't in the usual style of depressive bm bands) with relaxing synths and acoustic guitars thrown in for good measure. The quality of the recording is what you would expect from a demo but I think this complements their musical style. I don't think I would like this as much if it were to have a more cleaner production.

Although rooted in European sound the band does exemplify the US sound of black metal (in my opinion), especially during acoustic interludes which US bands seem to love to use these days. The whole thing lasts for 16 minutes but it's absolutely fantastic lo-fi black metal that should not be missed if you're into lo-fi stuff. They continued with this style on their debut album but they lost all the fuzz and the vocals changed somewhat which still makes it good but I think this demo tops it.

Get.

1 comment: