Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulée


As with Abigor, Blut Aus Nord is another band that you can easily recognize due to their unique approach to black metal. They both had/have interesting careers and eras of sound. Although Abigor's first album was not that much out of the norm the first one by Blut Aus Nord was definitely not something ordinary or conventional.

What's most distinct about this band is their guitar sound and this can be heard/felt from the start of their career (probably culminating with Mort). This album might take a while to sink in because of this and probably because of the vocals as well. The vocals are delivered in these distant shrieks that definitely complement the atmosphere of the songs but overall I think they're not handled that well. I could do without them. But their guitar sound is just so weird to me and I love it. There are also synths here that are pretty seamlessly added to the mix on all songs but the first one which starts off like a rave in the 90s for some reason. Not exactly like a rave but that's always what comes to my mind whenever I hear it.

While they do have an impressive assortment of releases I often find myself coming back to this first one. This and Transilvanian Hunger are my go to albums when I'm getting ready to go to bed. They're just so atmospheric and "distant" that it makes the feel of isolation portrayed in their covers very profound. Probably my favorite part of this album is when My Prayer Beyond Ginnungagap song kicks in. It's a vocal-only song that serves as a bridge or breathing room between two parts of the album and it's just so fucking magical. I don't know how to describe it but it strikes me every time I hear it. It really give this album a tone that they did not match on any of their later albums.

Next time a blizzard comes to your town be sure to give this a frosty try.

Get.

No comments:

Post a Comment