Klapa Primošten - Primoštensko Plavo More


Uhh I don't really know how to compactly write all this so it might turn up disjointed. For those of you who didn't know: I come from a tiny country called Croatia. It can roughly be divided into two areas which is the coastal area and the inland area (but "we" don't like to divide ourselves like that). I come from the coastal area which is (depending on who you ask) either really beautiful and unique or just a cheaper and less crowded version of Greece. I often seek out ethnic or folklore music from distant countries/areas. They always fascinate me and it made me think how there are maybe/probably people who might consider my area exotic, distant or unknown in terms of music. So I thought I'd share one of the most popular traditional musical styles from my parts. It's called klape or klapsko pjevanje.

The basic premise of this music is: five to eight dudes singing as a choir but each dude has his own pitch and they all sing the same thing at the same time. This kind of style probably originated from church choirs in the south a long time ago but it spread all over the coast. Unlike church songs these songs usually are about boats, women, alcohol, food and the bright blue sea. Most groups that sing this also include one or two instruments (mainly guitars and mandolins) although the original style should only have vocals. This type of music is insanely popular here, each town has at least one or two groups like this (especially along the coastline but inland towns started to get in on the fun) and you can hear it everywhere throughout the summer. Especially in the south.

Klapa Primošten is one of such groups. They come from a little town called Primošten and they are a very classic example of this kind of music. I like this kind of stuff, it's really relaxing and not really demanding on the ears. The unison of voices are really soothing on the ears and the soft accompanying music fits seamlessly with the voices.

If you're curious, check this one out. You might like it but I can't guarantee it.

Get.

No comments:

Post a Comment