Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Rehearsal Tapes

Here's something (potentially) interesting.

I know nothing about this release. I don't remember how I got it or where I got it and I don't see this passed around at all. I think I got this in some random sharethread on 4chan a year or so ago but I can't really remember. I also have no idea who was playing on these recordings but assuming that this was from 1954 (it was tagged like that) I'd venture a guess that Clifford Brown recorded this with the Max Roach quartet. When I got this the album title was simply labelled as "Rehearsal Tapes" but I doubt these are recordings from a rehearsal because it sounds like a live recording from some club or clubs. At one point you can hear someone clanging with platters so I'm pretty sure it was a live setting. This might also be a hint that this was an unofficial recording? A bootleg of some sorts?

But this is all just minute details, what is important is that it's more Clifford Brown material and what material it is! This is bebop in its purest form. There are only a few tracks on this, including an original unknown tune, yet most of them clock over 10+ minutes so in total you get about an hour of music. The longest track actually goes on for 21 minutes. Such long tunes give ample of space for every musician to explore and improvise solos. It may very well be a live rehearsal as these guys spare no time with improvising as a group or just soloing. The quality of these recordings is bad (for jazz standards) with a lot of tape hiss so I would recommend this only to Clifford Brown enthusiasts or if you're into jazz jam sessions.

Get. [the last track has unpleasant conversion scratching/skipping sound issues, the rest are fine]

No comments:

Post a Comment