William Bell - 1967 - The Soul Of A Bell

 


Let's start this year proper with some great old school soul / R&B. William Bell is actually still alive during the time I'm writing this post but I'm not very familiar with his entire catalog. This was his very first album and it's fairly conventionally safe. The album can be roughly separated into two categories which are: slow songs and fast songs. Riveting; I know. Bell definitely excels in slow songs and those are my favorite on this album while the faster, upbeat ones are alright (my favorite of the jumpier ones is track 10) but are often too cheesy or even outright annoying (Eloise) to me. All the slow ones though are really a treat and sometimes when the organs chime in I get a funny funeral doom feeling. It's doom metal...but soul. I don't know, I get that vibe.

The biggest issue with this record is that during the quiet parts you can hear a very audible hiss which unfortunately comes from the original tapes and can't be removed (or they didn't try). If you can get past that then you'll have a wonderful soulful time.

Get it.

Fav track.

Stream it!

No comments:

Post a Comment