Jackie McLean - Jacknife


I've noticed that I posted only one Jackie McLean album on here. This is weird. I love how this dude plays, I should post more so here's one of my top favorite albums by him. Now this album has a convoluted release history that I won't get much into but suffice it to say this was supposed to be a double album and the version I'm posting is the re-release of the first part (or album) on CD from 2002. You can read the details on Wikipedia.

By this time (1965) McLean was leaving his established hard bop sound and was exploring some new grounds. It was an interesting period for jazz with a lot of musicians doing different things and McLean was no different from his peers. What he tried to do was incorporate a more loose or free jazz with hard bop roots. So basically there still are tangible choruses, melodies and themes but the solos are more loos, adventurous and more dissonant. The star of the show on this album for me is definitely Jack DeJohnette (drummer) who absolutely rips shit up on each track. His talent really shines here so no wonder Miles Davis picked him up a few years later. But anyway, all players here are great aside from Lee Morgan who appears on a few tracks. I don't know, I feel like he does not fit into this kind of group. Perhaps it's just me but his solos seem out of place. Aside from that little complaint this albums is excellent.

Get.

No comments:

Post a Comment