The Pyramids - King of Kings

This is for someone that is no longer on this planet; I'm sure he would like it because it sounds a lot like his music. Sun Ra was born on May 22nd and died on May the 30th 79 years later and as much as I don't really care what happens after/before this existence I think I'll/We'll celebrate these dates (as they are around now) in a way that everyone would benefit which is sharing something that he would like and possibly some other drifters as well that come here for a cup of digital tea.

Anyway, enough with the unmusical talk. The Pyramids are a free jazz ensemble that operated mainly during the seventies. This album, released in 1974, was probably at the peak of their creativity. During my research I found out that they released another album last year so it seems they are together again and also their previous three albums that were released in the 70s are now in print again on cd. The music is kinda like Sun Ra and Pharoah Sanders combined, it's mainly melodic with several voyages into free improvisation. As usual with these records there's this really tight and diverse rhythm section and soloists on saxophones, flutes and stuff like that. Afro-big bands I call it. It's well composed, fun to listen and not long enough dammit. The percussion is especially great if I might add.

Check this out if you like Sun Ra and things like that.

Download.

4 comments:

  1. haven't heard this one yet. Thanks! their 'Birth/Speed/Merging" is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous28/5/12 23:55

    I generally come here for the manga, but I really want to thank you for introducing me to such interesting music. You have truly opened up new little worlds for me; I would never have heard such interesting stuff if you hadn't linked it, and also given such rich, attractive descriptions. Thank you very much! We all appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very nice of you to say. Thank you for the support! You're making me blush. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21/6/12 11:26

    dear friend
    thanks for this - i've arrived here tonight by a circuitous route, cruising from site to site via the blogger links, but i like sun ra a lot and so i'm looking forward very much to hearing this group.
    yours sincerely
    alfred venison

    ReplyDelete