The Evpatoria Report - Maar


Despite being over saturated with monotonous bands and ideas post-rock always manages to ride onwards to the future and not really losing its initial appeal. A lot of people are still into it which hints to the fact that it won't go away for a while nor it will go away quietly. The trouble now is that it's hard to stumble upon some more inventive bands. Sure a lot of them use new gimmicks like adding new instruments into play (violins or cellos usually evoke a lot of reaction, but bands who use them seem to overuse it a bit; don't you think?) but that's just cooking pasta with a different sauce. At least I look at it that way (mainly because I'm a big fan of pasta).

The reason I like this band and this album is that they don't tend to just copy the formula. Admittedly they aren't exactly the next messiah of post rock but I believe they deserve much more praise than they get. Maar, which was released in 2008, offers us 4 relatively long instrumental compositions. Compositions that invoke a lot of dreamy sensations while I listen to them and all four of them sounding distinct. They warmly remind me of GY!BE in a good way. Although this feeling only captured me during the first track. With each track they try something new and different from the previous and from time to time certain parts are a bit overdrawn but the band seems to know when they had enough of it and they throw in something new into the song. Despite overly long tracks I didn't really find them boring. If anything, it's great reading music. Check it out if you're into post rock.

Download.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/1/12 12:19

    A couple of years ago I had downloaded a free track from their lastfm page. Thanx for reminding me them again.

    ReplyDelete