Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder



Lee Morgan was an amazing trumpet player who started his professional career at a very young age in the Art Blakey's Messengers organization. He was sort of a child prodigy. Sadly he was murdered by his wife in a very movie-like scene. Fortunately for us he left a lot of albums for us to look back on him and admire his talents.

Even though Blakey encouraged other members to write their original tunes for the band Lee never really tried any serious composing until this album. Sidewinder is probably his most critically well received album and it consists of solely his of own compositions. He hand picked his band mates for this album and he mostly chose people who already played with him so you have here a very tight and precise group of players. The songs themselves are all very catchy in a hard bop way. Lots of blues influence and a lot of rhythm with not that much dissonant solos and squeaking. Very easy to listen and follow it along. This never gets boring to me.

In glorious flac:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/5/11 14:59

    Hello Mr. Flying Teapot, allow me to introduce myself, I'm a 19 yr old youth born and bred in Singapore, I have been visiting this wonderful blog since 2009 and i check on it once in awhile, just want to show my humble appreciation and gratitude on the postings of manga. I wonder if anyone else has shown their appreciation and if not, allow me to be the first.

    Good day,
    Asian Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if I leave a shout there which is totally outta place but I think it'll be spotted earlier. Your link for the raw scans of Ito's manga you posted for teapot's anniversary is broken. If you could re-upload it it'll be very pleasant, I'm a huge fan of Ito's works and on the other hand I'm also studying japanese at University so I'd be absolutely happy if I could practicize translating a such piece of art.

    PS, your blog is amazing, period. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ anon: Thanks man. ^_^

    @ evil46: Most of the stuff that I uploaded before I don't have anymore because it was on a hard drive that died. Therefore I can't reupload most of the things. One day I'll scour the blog and reupload everything that I have/can but it's a lot of work and I have so little time for blogging nowadays with college and everything.

    ReplyDelete