Belphegor - Goatreich - Fleshcult

One day when I was about 14 years old and very much into any power metal I could find (Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth etc.) I was waiting for my friends so we can go and see some movie. Since I knew they won't come for like a next hour or so I decided I should go and check out the only store in the city that sells a bit more alternative music. Proud with my extensive collection of 2 original CDs I rushed into the shop hoping to find another Blind Guardian CD so I can drool all over it while I wait for my friends. While searching through the cds something quite unusual caught my eyes. It was this black cd with some splattered letters and two inverted crosses behind it and a small "parental advisory" icon on the right lower corner. I said to myself "Hey I heard about this satanic stuff on the forum." so for some random reason I decided to buy it. I heard of it via the old Dark Lyrics forum (which died a long time ago) which was then my only source of information for metal music (the only music I was listening at the time really) and pretty much the only site I would visit during my modem days. So I got home and I finally opened this marvelous cd. The booklet to me then was very funny and it looked kinda cool but I didn't take them very seriously after looking through it. So finally I started listening to the cd. The amazement and the "FUCK YEAH THIS SHIT IS HEAVY" facial expression that this cd caused is pretty much the reason why I decided to leave my power metal shell and move onwards to much more extreme music. This album to me was a milestone in my taste and it changed it quite radically. I would listen to it 4-5 times a day and it would be amazing each time. For todays standards (and even for the standards then) this album is pretty much classic Black/Death crossover and very, very stereotypical (blah blah flaming cocks and satan blah blah). It usually gets good grades around the internets but nothing rare or groundbreaking but it means a lot to me ahaha. Anyway, on with the tracklist and things.

Tracklist:

01. The Cruzifixus - Anus Dei (04:15)
02. Bleeding Salvation (03:48)
03. Fornicationium et Immundus Diabolus (02:59)
04. Sepulture of Hypocrisy (04:57)
05. Goatreich - Fleshcult (03:24)
06. Swarm of Rats (04:53)
07. Kings Shall Be Kings (04:59)
08. The Crown Massacre (03:00)
09. Festum Asinorum / Chapter 2 (05:51)

Download.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, that sounds a lot like my story. I was too solo into Power metal about your age, but instead of Belphegor I bumped into Isis and Godflesh. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was into thrash metal and I bought on the same day "harmony corruption" by Napalm Death and "Hallucinations" by Atrocity. I listened the Hallucinations about 5/13 times in the weekend, but I was not able to understand the Harmony one (too much dense). Anyway years after I love it nad this is my old school story ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're story is so much like mine! After I explored thrash, I finally came upon Deicide and Obituary (which got me into death metal) and Behemoth (which got me into blackened death and black/death metal). I'm still trying to get into black metal some more :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Behemoth used to play pure black metal so you should check out their Grom it's a great place to start. Also get Kenose from Deathspell Omega it's exceptional (you can find it on this blog).

    ReplyDelete