Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - 1992 - Devotional Songs


Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a religious singer from Pakistan. I am spiritually impaired and have no idea what Sufi or Qawwali is but if it means something to you then you should be pleased to know that Khan is really into it. The music is an uplifting mix of Khan's singing (which reminds me of Mexican/Spanish and Gypsy serenading) with guitars and string instruments all backed by some serious tabla drumming in the back. The star of the show is obviously Khan's very intense and expressive singing but he is also backed by a choir that repeats his lyrics giving the whole thing much more depth and dynamic. I personally think that one needs not to be religious in order to enjoy a religious record and I can feel the intensity of his fervor and joy from singing even though I have nothing to do with it. If you're looking for something that will refresh or diversify your usual palette then I think you should give this one a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment