How to Count Planets (album and EP)


How to Count Planets is a Japanese folk duo that started around 2010. I'll come at you straight by saying if you like Shione Yukawa you'll find plenty to like here as well. So much that you can go and download both of their releases without reading any of my dribble. The vocalist sounds so similar to her that I had to actually go and look if it's actually her or someone else. Aside from that comparison the band follows Shione's stylistic approach as well. The album and EP are both so relaxing and lowkey that they're able to calm even the wildest of days. Aside from the usual vocal-acoustic guitar combination the album features a good array of different instrumentation for various songs. Piano and vibes probably being the most effective as they only amplifies the already melancholic and autumny feeling this band conveys. If there's any difference between the EP and album I'd say it's in this: the EP is much more stripped down folk while the album tries much more to make the songs varied with added instruments. Both are equally good in what they're trying to achieve and honestly I generally play them back to back.

If you've been longing for some soft melancholic folk, look no further.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Burek. The link is dead. Is there any other mirror or chance for you to reupload it?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Links are live again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Burek! I'm a fan of your blog since ages ago. Thank you for introducing me to many nice music, movies, and mangas. I hope Opium Fields will someday be updated again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind compliments! Don't hold your breath on Opium Fields I barely keep this blog floating. :)

    ReplyDelete