PsyOpus - Our Puzzling Encounters Considered


Psyopus is one of those bands that most people either love it or hate it. Rarely there's someone in the middle ground. I'm one of those who love it. Actually I consider this one to be their best that they put out so far. It was the second (and last) album of the first Psyopus line up so all the band members had previous experience in Psyopus arrangements and they knew what they were doing so I think that's why this album sounds so good. Odd Sense which came out last year had a complete new line up except for Chris Arp who formed the band in the first place (and who melts nuclear reactors with his playing technique) so because of that I think it sounds inferior to this one. I have high hopes that the next installment will butcher all previous works.

People hate this band mostly because it's highly dissonant. There's very little guitar picking here, it's mostly tapping, shredding and all that jazz. This of course results in highly, seemingly, out of place melodies and unorganized song structures. I'm not exactly a high skilled guitar player so I can't really say if what they're playing is organized or if it follows measures and all that music theory crap (that I refuse to learn). All I can say is that this style of playing gives it unique ferocity and strength. To me it sounds far more extreme than some tremolo based grindcore band. So yeah, I guess you could say this band sounds rather unique. The lyrics aren't that bad either and the vocalist can really deliver some really good high pitched screams.

All in all this is a great record. If you're into "extreme music" I highly recommend you check this one out if you haven't already.

Download.

1 comment:

  1. I like my "extreme music" primitive

    but I'll give this a go

    ReplyDelete